Wednesday, May 20, 2009

First Time Kegger and Oud Bruin


I knew I had a busy day ahead of me all week, but it turned out fairly smooth overall. Living in a city I've learned some things are hard to come by, propane is one, and now I'll add CO2. I had several options in the region but chose a fire extinguisher place a few miles away, though it was a pain to find. I got my kegs rinsed and sanitized, hooked up the CO2, forced out the sanitizer and got the beer racked in. I changed things up a little with my Berliner and bottled 2 gallons of it both because I wanted to see how it would progress over time and that I knew I had nearly 6 gallons of beer. I had a couple problems seating the keg lid but I think I have them well set and sitting at 20 PSI in the fridge. I hope to have them ready by the weekend.
The Oud Bruin was brewed all while the kegging was going on, so it was a multitasking day. It was a recipe I basically brewed from Brewing Classic Styles since I've never done one before. The yeast pitching was the hardest choice, and I ended up choosing a combination of Roselare (no starter) and a half pack of US05. I'll likely add more dregs as fermentation continues (principally from a saved bottle of La Folie).




Stats

OG

1.067

FG

1.013

IBU

23

ABV

7.0 %

SRM

22

Specifics

Boil Volume

7.5 gallons

Batch Size

5.5 gallons

Yeast

Wyeast 3763, US05 80% AA



Fermentables

% Weight

Weight (lbs)

Grain

Gravity Points

Color

57.7 %

8.00

American Two-row Pale

39.3

2.6

28.8 %

4.00

German Munich

19.6

5.8

5.4 %

0.75

Belgian CaraMunich

3.3

10.2

3.6 %

0.50

Belgian Special B

1.9

20.1

3.6 %

0.50

American Soft White Wheat

2.7

0.3

0.9 %

0.13

American Black Patent

0.5

11.4


13.88


67.3


Hops

% Wt

Weight (oz)

Hop

Form

AA%

AAU

Boil Time

Utilization

IBU

100.0 %

0.50

Magnum

Whole/Plug

14.2

7.1

60

0.232

22.5


0.50







22.5

5/20/09: Brewed by myself as usual. Increased boil volume a bit and ended up with the proper amount in the carboy (around 5.6 gal). Totally spaced on the Roselare and ended up getting it out of the fridge and smacking during the mash. O2'd a little less than normal to stress the bugs. Fermenter sitting at 65 degrees ambient.
6/08/09: Racked to secondary and saved cake. Gravity down to 1.012 so I'm not too sure what the bugs will be able to do. I've since added dregs from Brett C and will be adding some more tonight, La Folie in particular.
7/28/10: Finally getting around to bottling this one. Gravity settled in at 1.012. It hasn't seemed to sour much since last year. Very apple juice like in flavor. Not sure if it's simply passed it's prime as it's even starting to taste a little oxidized. Well, let's hope it'll settle out in the bottles.
9/29/10: Seriously bottled this one today. Shot for 2.3 vols of CO2 with an addition of 3.7oz of sugar. Added a half pack of rehydrated Champagne yeast. Gravity settled at 1.010. Flavor is actually quite nice with a balance of sugar and acid, just like an Oud Bruin should taste. Here's hoping it turns out well!

No comments:

Post a Comment