Monday, May 18, 2009

Poll: Amarillo Hops

After giving my poll a couple weeks I managed 18 votes. Not too bad for just month old blog I suppose. I've been using Google Analytics to track site usage; a really slick program that gives you tons of useful data about the frequency and location of site visitors. So far I'm averaging about 20 visits a day with much of it coming from reference sites, the Mad Fermentationist and Beer Advocate.
Well, the vast majority (61%) voted with a love for Amarillo hops and I'm not surprised. I've used them in a couple beers so far and just a small amount can coming through with a big presence. I'll be kegging the Gumballhead clone this week after I can track down some CO2 which is not as easy as one might think. Now I know why everyone recommends getting the biggest tank possible! Coming up this week will be a tasting of my young 100% Brettanomyces Lambicus dry stout, brewing an Oud Bruin (still not sure how big I should go, thoughts?), and kegging up a couple beers. Should be fun!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you have some good stuff in the pipes. On that Oud Bruin I would say fight the urge to go big. I think one of the beautiful things for that style is that you can make a relatively small beer with so much impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll go mid range, around an OG of 1.065. Talked with the MF (Mike) about yeast/bug pitching and think I'll stick with a half pack of US05 and Roselare at the get go.

    ReplyDelete