Saturday, July 18, 2009

Red Currant Melomel

A few years ago, I attempted my first mead. Not knowing anything outside of: honey, water, yeast, nutrients, I ended up making something that is simply indrinkable (and I still have about 9 bottles left). I used 12 pounds of honey for a three gallon batch, OG of 1.150 and pitched 2 packets of Champagne yeast and no oxygen. It only managed to finish at 1.050 and it sat in secondary for over a year before I bottled it.
I've only had a couple homebrewed meads, and they are quite tasty. I had an idea to make something fairly low in gravity, and refreshing that I could have on tap during the warm August and September months. I got very nervous about my process again this time, more so about what nutrients to use, what I should expect for an OG etc. I ordered 7 pounds of Wild Blackberry honey from Flying Bee Ranch, recieved them very promptly and kindly, and new nutrients through Midwest. I chose to use Lavlin 71B Narbonne since it was recommended for fruit meads (melomel). Again, I never got a definite answer on how much yeast to pitch as this is extremely important for a healthy ferment. But I did make a good guess at how much water to use to get to about 5.5 gallons of total must into the carboy.

Recipe (sorry about 4 different units of measure):
7# Wild Blackberry Honey
2K Boiron Red Currant Puree
10gm Lavlin 71B
15gm Goferm
1.87 tsp DAP

7/16/09:
Brewed in about one hours time. Got lazy with cooling the must and ended up pitching the yeast close to about 80 degrees. Gave it about 2 min of O2 and left to ferment in the basement with about 74-75 degree ambient temperature. Lots of action evident the morning after, but no idea how an elavated temperature will affect fermentation.
7/22/09: Gravity just hovering above 1.000 so this puppy looks like it's done. Lots of trub and sediment dropped out of solution, so I think I will rack it before kegging in a few weeks. Flavor seems solid though a little yeasty.
9/22/09: Finally got to keg this one up. I dumped a bit of the coffee brown as I was just tired of it and wanted to get this one in the pipelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment